The Iowa Falls Area Development Corporation urges you to
VOTE YES NOVEMBER 5TH
The Iowa Valley Community College District/IVCCD (also known as Merged Area 6) Board of Directors is putting a $32 million General Obligation Bond Referendum before area voters on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019.
- Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls
- Marshalltown Community College
- Iowa Valley Continuing Education
- Iowa Valley Grinnell
What is a GO Bond Referendum?
Iowa community colleges are permitted to issue general obligation bonds to finance new construction and major renovations for existing buildings. The bonds are issued, sold and paid off, and then the debt is retired. Passage of a bond referendum requires a 60% majority of votes cast across the entire IVCCD service area (counties of Butler, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Hardin, Jasper, Marshall, Poweshiek, Story, and Tama).
How will students & communities be impacted?
- Improved safety and security of students, faculty and staff at all campuses in Marshalltown, Iowa Falls and Grinnell.
- Expanded job training in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).
- Continued high-quality dual credit opportunities for high school students in 13 area K-12 districts.
- Improved facilities that attract students and staff to our communities and support our local economies.
- Expanded job training/retraining for local businesses and industries.
How will taxpayers* be impacted?
For a homeowner, the bond issue will cost approximately $3.32 per month ($39.84/year) for a home with an assessed valuation of $100,000. A chart showing agricultural and commercial rates is on the IVCCD website at iavalley.edu. At its highest point, the $32 million bond issue will cost taxpayers less than they were paying back in 2017. * NOTE: On your tax bill, IVCCD is listed as “Merged Area 6.”
If approved by voters, how would the funds be used?
In 2017, IVCCD conducted a comprehensive assessment of all its facilities in Hardin (Ellsworth Community College), Marshall (Marshalltown Community College/ Iowa Valley Continuing Education), Poweshiek (Iowa Valley Grinnell) and Tama (Iowa Valley Continuing Education) Counties. Several of the buildings in Hardin and Marshall Counties were built in the 1970s and 1980s, and a few are even older. This bond issue would fund major capital improvement projects on the Iowa Falls, Marshalltown and Grinnell campuses.
These projects are identified as being essential to the District’s safety, security and sustainability:
- Learning Spaces – Renovate STEM classrooms and labs, improve library and Student Success Center, and remodel IVCE Conference Center and meeting/workforce training rooms.
- Safety & Security – Upgrade security systems (cameras, key/ locking, fire safety) and improve campus lighting.
- Technologies – Upgrade infrastructures and improve internet connectivity across the four-county service area.
- Infrastructures – Upgrade aging HVAC and electrical systems, rehab interior and exterior walls and ceilings, improve accessibility, and refresh public spaces.
- Living Spaces – Renovate outdated ECC student housing buildings (Thompson Hall – built in 1972 and Wall Hall – built in 1964) and add capacity.
When and where do people vote?
Registered voters who live in the IVCCD service area can vote. The service area includes these school districts: AGWSR, BCLUW, BGM, East Marshall, Gladbrook-Reinbeck (City of Gladbrook only), GMG, Grinnell-Newburg, HubbardRadcliffe, Iowa Falls-Alden, Marshalltown, Meskwaki Settlement, Montezuma, South Hardin, South Tama County and West Marshall.
- Oct. 7-25, 2019 – Absentee ballots can be submitted to County Auditors by mail or in person. Instructions will be included with your absentee ballot regarding completion, deadline and return of the ballot.
- Oct. 15, 2019 – Satellite voting at ECC (Gentle Student Center) from noon – 6 pm.
- Oct. 16, 2019 – Satellite voting at MCC (District Administration Bldg.) from 9 am – 3 pm.
- Oct. 25, 2019 – Absentee ballots must be received by your County Auditor by 5 pm.
- Oct. 7 to Nov. 4, 2019 – Vote in person at your County Auditor’s office.
- Nov. 5, 2019 – Combined City/School Board Election at designated polling places.
Have additional questions?
You can learn more on the IVCCD website at https://www.iavalley.edu/about-the-district/bond-referendum/. You can also email questions to email@example.com.
This is what will be on your ballot for the Nov. 5 election:
The language on the ballot will read as follows: “Shall the Iowa Valley Community College District (Merged Area VI) in the Counties of Butler, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Hardin, Jasper, Marshall, Poweshiek, Story, and Tama, State of Iowa, be authorized to renovate, improve, repair, construct, erect, furnish, and equip existing buildings, at multiple campus and enrollment locations, with an emphasis on safety, security, and sustainability; to construct, erect, remodel, repair, renovate, improve, furnish, and equip student housing buildings and additions to existing student housing building; and issue its school bonds in an amount not exceeding $32,000,000 for such purpose?”
Iowa Valley Community College District (which operates Ellsworth Community College, Marshalltown Community College, Iowa Valley Grinnell, and Iowa Valley Continuing Education) is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (www.ncahlc.org; ph. 312-263-0456), the Iowa Department of Education, and the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships; some individual degree programs are also accredited by agencies specific to those areas of study. IVCCD is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. IVCCD has articulation agreements with Iowa’s Regent universities and many other colleges in Iowa and the Midwest.
* NOTE: On your tax bill, IVCCD is listed as “Merged Area 6.”